Saturday, February 16, 2008

Web Cameraderie

Wanda and I have entered the murky domain of Skype users. It's one of those things which turn out to be much more useful and entertaining than we ever thought possible, sort of like the DVR for the TV. I would never, ever have chosen a DVR, but it came with the HDTV receiver from the cable company, so we started using it. Now we can't live without it. Hate watching live TV. Can't do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

Turns out, I really like video chatting with my family. It makes me happy to be able to see them when I'm talking to them. I don't get to see them physically often, and so this really is the next best thing, way better than a normal telephone call. The potential future uses are many, what with kids looming on the horizon (still no word back from the gov't regarding out I600-A - we'll update when that's resolved, I promise) and all. And, with Wanda due to take several trips without me this Spring, it will help us to stay connected (we got her a spiffy new little webcam for her laptop that's WAY better than the one that's attached to my desktop). We really need each other for our end-of-working-day post-mortem, and this will help make it seem not quite so far away.

1 comment:

Pete and Jan said...

I like it also...I wish the sound were better...so, the question is, why the hell can't I remember to log in the damn thing while I'm sitting here doing this?!?!?!?