Sunday, September 24, 2006

An De Disco

This weekend has been concert weekend for the ASOC, with performances of Beethoven's mighty 9th on Thursday, Saturday Night, and one more this afternoon at 3. As this is the first concert series of the year, the ASOC has been singing the national anthem at the start of the concerts. Rather than sing from the stage, the chorus has been filing into the aisles and singing right into the ear of the (extremely large) audience. This is kind of fun, actually, but last night's experience beats all.

I was positioned right next to the prototypical Little Old Lady. About 5 feet tall, nice wig, and she spent the entire anthem darting nervous glances at me out of the corners of her eyes. After we finished, she turned to me and mumbled something that I didn't hear, so I stepped forward and leaned (way) over, asking if she could please repeat herself. This is what she said:

"You remind me of Rock and Roll... or maybe Disco. But I wanted you to know that you have a lovely voice and I appreciate you singing next to me!"

It's hard to explain the extent to which this made my entire evening.

The performances have gone extremely well, with eardrum-shattering cheering at the end (from the audience, not from us - that would be inappropriate). One more to go this afternoon and then it's a wee break from ASOC.

Next up, the Faure' Requiem.

4 comments:

Wanda Yang Temko said...

I'm gonna make a t-shirt for all who want one. Just imagine "You remind me of Rock and Roll" on the front, and "... or maybe Disco." on the back. Oh yeah!

meeegan said...

I'd buy that shirt!

Sam Brady said...

I want one too!

Anonymous said...

im still stuck on images of Ben strutting down a new york street to Stayin' Alive...OH YEA!