Friday, September 21, 2007

High Holy Days

I'm just hours away from the first of five Yom Kippur services that I will sing in the next two days, and I am dreading it for one reason only--the hideous substitute cantor that was hired for this year's services. He cannot sing nor read music. Reports are that he has had the music for at least two months, and he arrived knowing, at best, 35% of the notes. He doesn't even know the words to Kol nidre!!!!! He is simply an embarrassment to the temple and to the sacredness of these religious proceedings. Ben will be coming to one of the services tonight, mostly because I really want him to experience the cantor, a.k.a. disaster. The choir's last rehearsal with him was so excruciating that we all started to sing his notes for him, even the teenagers, who were much better than him, I might add. Oy.

It seems that lately I've had nothing but rants, and I will work hard to change that, I swear. On a good note, Ben and I are getting closer with our adoption paperwork. We'll post about that soon.

1 comment:

Pete and Jan said...

Oy, indeed. Probably never has been a better use of that "word." Sounds like something I'd have enjoyed on some level...I've heard some pretty awful cantoring in my day...

Good to be a pro...