Sunday, February 01, 2009

An Independent at Last

Friday January 30 was my last day as a seriously undervalued and underpaid employee of a place that I loved. I feel absolutely liberated, although the tears flowed quite freely as I played the soprano aria from Brahms' A German Requiem, one of my all-time favorites on my last on-air shift.

On January 19 I uploaded my Chinese New Year show on a website for independent radio producers to share their work and get paid a little for it. Here's the link for it. Three days later it was licensed by WGBH in Boston, and there's proof that it aired. See this comment:

Thank you

This was a fantastic program. I listened on WGBH in Boston and was transfixed for the whole hour. Thank God I found this copy online, or I would have gone insane. I've been listening to some of the musical pieces over and over again for the past few days. Thank you.

The next day it was licensed by KUOW, Seattle's NPR station. It's nice to have this kind of validation, which was completely lacking in my former place of work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought you handled your last few days on the job very well, with class and dignity. Rest assured you will be missed.