Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Change is Good?

With autumn just around the corner and the night air getting a bit of a chill, I've decided that some change is good, and some just have to be endured. I'm actually speaking very specifically about our Cannon for Music, BN, who left us to go to the great St. John the Divine in NYC. This past Sunday I realized something very important: that I truly missed him. Having had serious intimate knowledge about the grieving process, for his departure I was pretty determined to stay detached. I saw him but a few times in the last two months of his tenure with us due to trips to London, Berlin, and Charleston, and I even missed his final going away party. Saying goodbye to him wasn't going to be easy, so I avoided it altogether.

He is a very good man who led us into musical territories that were exciting, challenging, and rewarding. Now that we are on the search for his replacement, it makes his absence that much harder to bear. As with any good and intimate relationship, it wasn't without its fair share of ups and downs, but in the last 7 years I know that my life and musical life have been enriched by having him in it. I enjoyed a level of musical freedom, expression, and fulfillment that I hope can be continued in the years to come. Maybe I should cross all fingers and toes????

3 comments:

meeegan said...

I'll cross mine for you, too! Have you met any of the candidates to fill that position in Atlanta yet?

Wanda Yang Temko said...

The first one is coming the weekend of October 12, with at least two more to follow in the next couple of months. I've been googling the candidates, and am anxious to see them in person. Two Brits and an American who has a doctorate from Cambridge. Hmmmm, I think we're moving in a certain direction...

Btw, once you've settled in, I have contacts that can point you in the direction of good singing groups!!

meeegan said...

Thanks, that would be wonderful! I have a playwright friend up there who's a tenor; we're talking about finding a group we can join together.