Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pandora

As I was typing in the very long post regarding the imminent death of all things disc-related (not the frisbee, tho), I was trying out Pandora Radio, which is based on the Music Genome Project. I started out with Level 42, and the damned thing spat out this list of songs, which I listened to mostly with glee the entire way (I indicate my favor or outrage with + or -, respectively):

1) Level 42 - Running in the Family (+)
2) Duran Duran - The Reflex (+)
3) Hall & Oats - Say It Isn't So (+)
4) Steve Winwood - Higher Love (-)
5) Level42 - World Machine (+)
6) Duran Duran - Rio (+)
7) Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy (+)
8) Kajagoogoo - Too Shy (+)
9) INXS - New Sensation (+)
10) Level 42 - Heaven in My Hands (+)
11) Billy Idol - Eyes Without a Face (+)
12) The Cars - Drive (-)
13) Duran Duran - Come Undone (+)
14) Level 42 - Good Man in a Storm (+)
15) Naked Eyes - Promises, Promises (+)
16) Genesis - Land of Confusion (-)
17) Culture Club - It's Miracle (-)
18) Thompson Twins - Doctor! Doctor! (+)
19) Howard Jones - Everlasting Love (+)
20) Men At Work - Overkill (+)
21) ABC - The Night You Murdered Love (-)
22) Genesis - In Too Deep (-)
23) Hall & Oates - One On One (+)
24) Simply Red - Sunrise (-)
25) Paul Carrack - Don't Shed A Tear (+)
26) Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You (+)
27) The Human League - Human (-)
28) Duran Duran - The Reflex (+)
29) Simple Minds - Alive and Kicking (+)
30) Phil Collins & Phillip Bailey - Easy Lover (+)
31) Howard Jones - No One Is To Blame (+)
32) Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now (+)
33) Foreigner - Waiting for a Girl Like You (-)
34) David Bowie - Let's Dance (+)
35) Tears for Fears - Change (+)
36) Erasure - Stop (-)
37) Prince - Thieves in the Temple (+)
38) Howard Jones - Dream Into Action (+)

That's an impressive list, going from just one group I gave them. Now I want to try other groups I like to see what it comes up with, maybe even some groups I fuckin' hate, to see if it can pick lots of groups I also fuckin' hate!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great. Unfortunately their web programming SUCKS...their site absolutely seems not to work in Firefox on the Mac and Safari will play the songs but not much else.

WTF?

DLM said...

That so cool. Totally forgot above Level 42. Carsley would love this list - influence of having an older teenage sister in the '80s.