Thursday, August 25, 2005

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

I love a good story, especially when I get to tell it. What sometimes gets me in trouble is that I tend to like a good story more than I like a true story. One look at the books on my shelf will confirm this beyond possibility of contradiction – Isaac Asimov, G. G. Kay, Robert Jordan, Ursula K. LeGuin, all of them prevaricators to one extent or another. This particular personality trait usually manifests itself in a tendancy to… oh, call it elaborate on actual events in order to make a better story out of them, regardless of whether or not the events as they transpired were plenty entertaining enough on their own merit. Sometimes life gives us stuff that needs no embellishment at all. Sometimes, however, the embellishment is the story.

The title of this blog is “The Atlanta Chronicles”, a nod to the 4 years Wanda and I spent in Bloomington, IN while she worked on her doctorate, during which I would occasionally write a missive to the folks back home relating the things which were happening to us. These missives are collectively known as The Chronicles - contained therein are some really, really good stories. Some of them are even true. I will begin to post these stories on the sidebar of this blog, in addition to new ones that come along in the meantime. This weekend I will post two of my favorites:

  • Benjamin versus the Bloomington DMV, from the original Chronicles

  • Remote Control Terrorism, from actual events a few years ago

I will welcome your commentary on these pieces, as they will begin to shape, with any luck, the nucleus of an attempt to build a new career.

This computer stuff, it’s for the young-uns.

P.S. – If any of you have original Chronicles e-mails squirelled away (I have no idea why you would, but some of you are pack-rats, I know it), I would love copies of them – my entire archive of Indiana e-mails has gone missing, which fact I find monumentally alarming.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you can get your hands on the files...but then again...not having them gives new opportunity to further embellish the story...and how can THAT be a bad thing? ;-)

meeegan said...

Oh no, it's happening to you too! Where are these archives of ancient emails being funnelled away to?

Anonymous said...

Maybe they are with the pencaps and socks I can't seem to find....

Benjamin said...

You know what Wanda and I do with our dirty socks now? We fold them back together as if we just took them out of the dryer and then throw them into the dirty clothes hamper. That way they don't get separated until just before they go into the washing machine. We don't lose socks any more.

saurabh said...

Holy shit! That sock idea is the smartest thing I've ever heard... Now all I have to do is invent a robot to do that for me.

Wanda Yang Temko said...

Thanks, and I will take all the credit for instituting the paired sock paradigm.